Saturday, January 16, 2010

Recipe #1

Buttermilk Biscuits some with Blueberry and Almond

These biscuits were inspired by tea with Amber and recipe perusing with Rachel.
The company that comes with food is one of the best parts! I enjoy cooking, preparing, smelling, and eating but most of all I enjoy the intimate, laughable and often a little outrageous memories made over a meal.

These biscuits were dubbed Sh*t Biscuits because in the Joy of cooking the recipe that follows Buttermilk Biscuits is a kid's recipe called "SHIP" Biscuits. Rachel misheard my recipe reading and the evening progressed in this fashion.



They came out looking tasty on the outside but not quite as soft and fluffy as I had hoped... this may have been due to the fact that I noticed the oven wasn't quite hot enough... I had pre-set it to 400 (though it called for 425) because it is a new oven, and I had never cooked in it before. So when I saw that it was 375 as the biscuits went in I raised the temp to the recommended 25...
About 8 minutes later I smelled a faint burning scent and thought to check on my Sh*t Biscuits. And Sh*t the oven had sky-rocketed to 550degrees!!! They were golden brown on the outside (as picture shows)... but black on the bottoms (conveniently hidden in said picture).

Moral of the story: when you are making Sh*t Biscuits make sure you know the temperature of your oven or you'll be Sh*t out of luck and biscuits.

No comments: