Saturday, February 5, 2011

Listening

Today I was speaking to the Concierge at our TimeShare. I asked if he knew of any bistro/restaurant that was a little more off the beaten path where I might get some reading done with a glass of wine. Apparently that is a silly question to ask in a tourist-town during peak-season. Lesson learned.
But, what transpired in our initial 3 minute conversation as I revealed a working knowledge of the town and said I was here last week for Sundance was one of the most confusing conversations I have encountered in a LONG time. Here are a few pieces I can remember.

This guy believes (as he shared in the next 20 minutes):
Religion is problematic...
Faith is something special...
Joseph Campbell ("follow your bliss") has the key...
He's Catholic...
Married a Jewish woman...
Something happened in between...
It depends on what Planet people live are on... this one really got me scratching my head when he started talking about planets... we are in UT...
God/_____ (some other word) created everything and some think is a billion miles away...
His forefathers were somehow connected to Joseph Campbell or Joseph Smith (I couldn't tell) as wagoners through the west...
They built Westminster college where he attended but it's no longer religiously/theological oriented...
It's important to engage in dialogue (Got it! this one i could work with, pfew)...

I have no idea how to follow this guy. So what I leave wondering is, do I sound as fragmented and de-centered as this guy when I talk to people about faith/religion/spirituality? I sure hope not, if I do, I have some work to do.

I really had no idea what this guy was talking about at all. He didn't seem angry or dissatisfied, he seemed to think he was talking about some pretty clear things that made a lot of sense. Good thing he kept talking and didn't ask for me to participate. I hope no one sees this blog and thinks "what a pretentious pious bitch." I'm not trying to poke-fun at what he "believes" I just wonder how many people live in such a de-centralized world/reality like this?

wow

No comments: