Tuesday, March 11, 2008

For Starters

Let's start at the very beginning.

I was called to ministry, or what I have recognized as a call to ministry, when I was 14 at Forest Home. I sing and play guitar and I love to use these gifts to lead people in worship. I think Jr. Highers are the most interesting people on the face of the earth and I want them to know they are valued.

So here I am, 10 years after this "call" finally at Seminary where I'm going to "learn how to be a pastor"...we'll see

I started in September--dove right in.
Quarter 2 is almost over (10 days guys, we're gonna rock this!)

What do I hope to get out of this $40,000+ investment?
I hope to gain some networking resources for a job
I hope to build deeper friendships that will push me closer to God and challenge me to live fully, love generously and be humble.
I hope to have some resources in order to articulate the complexifications of the Bible and life...and a heart to know when there's just no answer.
I hope to have more hope

What's so hard about Seminary?
The unanswerable questions...
"What/Who is/are the Church?"
"What authority does the Bible have, and how do we hold it together?"
"What do I have to give?"
"What's the point?"
etc. etc. etc. (more to follow)


Other goals and desires
I want to speak Spanish fluently
I want to learn to play Cello
I want to play my guitar more
I want to be a better friend
I wan to be more whole
I want to be more familiar with the Bible
I want to eat more vegetables
I want to travel and see the world

I suppose these are the things people think about mostly during New Years, they're always changing and growing in my mind. We are coming up on the end of the Lenten season...I could have used that time to devote to at least one of these disciplines but I blew that. I still have a long way to go, but my greatest comfort is that I am not alone.

Come, walk with me. Talk with me. Share with me your hopes and dreams. Teach me because you are beautiful and you have so much to give. We're in this together, thank God.

well...I'm still learning this whole blogging thing. I'll keep working on it for your reading pleasure and my sharing skills.

Peace

1 comment:

Mel said...

Wow, you really are trying to avoid finals. Props, though, for finding something constructive to do with your procrastination! I can't wait to hear what all you have to say.

Luv ya,
Mel